Relationship=Great-grandfather of Dorothy Kollros.
Last Edited=10 May 2008
For more information see article The Kollros Family. He and Magdalena Ringwald emigrated in 1844 from Grand Duchy of Baden.
Joseph Kollross, the grandfather of E. J. Kollross, emigrated from the Duchy of Baden (Germany) along with is wife and children in 1844. Their port of arrival is not known and their port of embarkation would probably have been Hamburg or Calais. In the 1840's emigration from the Duchy of Baden was made illegal and many fled political oppression in the German State by obtaining Alsatian visas from the French authorities across the Rhine river. It is therefore most likely that the Kollross family left Europe by way of the Port of Calais. He was a laborer in Madison, Indiana, in 1850. He was a policeman in Louisville about 1860.3 From a fellow Kollros researcher: "Joseph Kollros was born in Sasbach on the Rhine in Baden, and he was born Mar 19,1792 died 1863. His wife Magdalina died in 1884. His son Constantine married Mary Ann Eichorn born Mar 16,1843 at Rattelsdorf, Bamburg, Bavaria, Germany, and died July 12,1907. They along with Dominik and his wife Elizabeth are buried in St. Michael's Cemetery in Germantown. The family was strict catholic, and belonged to St. Martin's Catholic Church. I think there may [be] a Catholic dioceses in Baden where you may find some info. I've been searching for him for quite a while and nothing further back than the year they immigrated. According to all of the records that I have the name is spelled with one S instead of two. I contacted a son of Leo's, Eugene, here in Lou and he gave me the info for Constantine's children. Hope this is of some help to you. Stay in touch. If I find the parent's of Joseph or Magdalina I'll be sure to let you know and hope you do the same."4
Children of Joseph Kollros and Magdalena Ringwald
- [S23] Kollros, Constantine Kollros Family Bible (n.p.: n.pub., unknown publish date); J. Taylor, Louisville, KY. Hereinafter cited as Constantine Kollros Family Bible.
- [S23] Constantine Kollros Family Bible, Juni den 20ten 1864, ist mein vielgeliebter vater Joseph Kollros gestorben. Geboren am 19ten Marz 1792 an Sasbach-am-Rhein Baden.
- [S22] 1860 United States Census (Free Schedule), Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky Washington: National Archives And Records Administration,.
- [S131] E-mail from Jan Taylor to Mike DeBacker, July 20, 1999.
- [S121] 1850 United States Census (Free Schedule), Madison, Jefferson, Indiana (Washington: National Archives And Records Administration) ,.