Relationship=2nd great-grandaunt of James Monroe Dobbs Jr.
Last Edited=4 May 2008
Caty Prothro was also known as Catherine Hughes. According to several sources after Catherine's marriage to James Hughes the family migrated to the Shenandoah valley in the 1790's. James apparently died around 1800. Catherine and her children left Virginia for Indiana with a group from Kentucky around 1810.2,4 She is mentioned in the will of Evan Prothro in December, 1822 in Elbert County, Georgia.5 According to George Prothro Coulter, the descendants that I have recorded for Catherine Prothro are incorrect: "the descents that you show for Catherine (Caty) Prothro Hugh(e)s are not those of a daughter of Evan Prothro. The issue named belong to an entirely different couple bearing the names of Catherine and James Hughes. The report that the "other" James Hughes married a daughter of Evan Prothro now appears to have been but an assumption based on the will of Evan Prothro, with no other facts to support it. I can supply descents for Rachael Prothro Myers, but the line of Caty and James Hughs just seems to have disappeared completely. It is not the Indiana Hughes family."6
Children of Caty Prothro and James Hughes
- John Hughes2 (1786 - 1863)
- Mary Polly Hughes2 (1791 - )
- Edward Hughes2 (1793 - )
- Nathan Hughes2 (1795 - 1846)
- Nancy May Hughes2 (c 1799 - )
- Evan Hughes2 (1801 - 1882)
- [S352] "Pedigree Charts", e-mail message from George Prothro Coulter to Mike DeBacker, 28 Apr 2008. Hereinafter cited as "Pedigree Charts."
- [S223] Family Group Sheet of James Hughes, online http://grumbles.kemisu.com/names/fam01039.html. Hereinafter cited as Family Group Sheet of James Hughes.
- [S223] Family Group Sheet of James Hughes, online http://grumbles.kemisu.com/names/fam01039.html, This source gives her place of death as Harrison County, Indiana.
- [S38] "Email from J. H.", e-mail message from J. Hughes to Mike DeBacker, 1999.
- [S414] Neil O. Myers, Myers and Neighbors of Jefferies Creek, SC (Aiken, South Carolina: Neil O. Myers, 2007), page 40 - Cites: Elbert County Will Book L, pgs 456-457.
- [S347] "Prothro Information", e-mail message from George Coulter Prothro to Mike DeBacker, 18 February 2008. Hereinafter cited as "Prothro Information."