Relationship=Great-grandfather of James Monroe Dobbs Jr.
Last Edited=1 Nov 2009
Between 1814 and 1815, David Dobbs served in Fourth Regiment (Booth's), Georgia Militia as a 3rd Lieutenant during the War of 1812. His unit was active in Georgia and Alabama during the Creek War of 1814. He was stationed at Fort Hawkins, Georgia, part of the time.3 He fought in the Creek War of 1814 and the Seminole War of 1818 from 1814 to 1818.3,1 He was a farmer, a commander of a Georgia militia battalion, and his name appears as witness and executor of a number of wills in Elbert County, Georgia, from 1818 to 1835.4 He witnessed the will of John McMullan on January 14, 1818 in Elbert County, Georgia.5 He was promoted to Major and shortly afterward to Colonel in the Georgia Militia in which he rendered service for many years about 1820. He witnessed the will of Evan Prothro in December, 1822 in Elbert County, Georgia.6 He was a Sheriff in Elbert County, Georgia, in 1825.7 He was a Farmer / Plantation Owner in Marietta from 1835 to 1872. He relocated in 1839 to Cobb County, Georgia.8,9 He resided in Cobb County, Georgia, from 1840 to 1877.10,11,12 He was founder and on the Board of Trustees for GMI from 1851 to 1857.13 He left a will in 1872 in Cobb County, Georgia.14
- My Ancestors
Ancestors of James Monroe Dobbs, Jr.
Descendants of John Dobbs
Descendants of John McMullan
Children of David Dobbs and Elizabeth McMullan
- [S18] Shelly Dobbs Dooley, Descendants Of Josiah Dobbs (Descendancy Report with Notes), 1999.
- [S56] Jordan Dodd, Georgia Marriages to 1850 ([database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com) ,. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by individual counties in Georgia.
- [S48] Index to the Compiled Military Service Records for the Volunteer Soldiers Who Served During the War of 1812 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration) , M602, 234 rolls.
- [S328] Ancestry.com. Historical collections of the Georgia chapters, Daughters of the American Revolution [database on-line]. Provo, UT: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005. Original data: Historical collections of the Georgia chapters, Daughters of the American Revolution. Atlanta, Ga.: C.P. Byrd, state printer, 1926.
- [S112] John McMullin will (14 Jan 1818), Elbert County, Georgia, Miscellaneous Inferior Court Records 1816 - 1820 Will Book L, Elbert County Court Records, Elberton, Elbert County, Georgia. Hereinafter cited as Will Of John McMullan.
- [S414] Neil O. Myers, Myers and Neighbors of Jefferies Creek, SC (Aiken, South Carolina: Neil O. Myers, 2007), page 40 - Cites: Elbert County Will Book L, pgs 456-457.
- [S49] History Of Elbert County., Georgia n.pub.,.
- [S51] James F. Smith, The Cherokee Land Lottery, Containing a Numerical List of the Names of the Fortunate Drawers in Said Lottery (New York: n.pub., 1838), 138.
- [S52] Sarah B. G. Temple, The First Hundred Years, a short history of Cobb County, in Georgia (Marietta, GA: Cobb Landmarks & Historical Society, Inc., 1935), 138.
- [S53] 1840 United States Census (Free Schedule), Cobb Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Administration) ,.
- [S54] 1850 United States Census (Free Schedule), Cobb Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Adminstration) ,.
- [S55] 1860 United States Census (Free Schedule) Cobb Co., Georgia, Washington: National Archives And Records Administration, 260.
- [S33] Gary Livingston, Cradled In Glory: Georgia Military Institute 1851-1865 (New York: Caisson Press) ,.
- [S141] David Dobbs will (1872), Will Of David Dobbs, Will Book 2-A, Cobb County, Georgia Will Book 2-A, page 73, Cobb County Georgia, Cobb County Court Records, Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia. Hereinafter cited as David Dobbs Will.
- [S47] 1820 United States Census, Elbert Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Administration) ,.
- [S50] 1830 United States Census, Elbert Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Administration) ,.
- [S55] 1860 United States Census (Free Schedule) Cobb Co., Georgia, Washington: National Archives And Records Administration, Roll: M653_117, Page: 260 (64 slaves).
- [S89] 1870 United States Census, Marrieta, Cobb Co., Georgia, population schedule, National Archives micropublication , Roll: M593_144, Page: 302, Image: 609.