Relationship=Great-granduncle of James Monroe Dobbs Jr.
Last Edited=10 Apr 2005
The 1830 tax records of Elbert County, Georgia, show Asa with two slaves. Also in Elbert County at that time were Silas, Elijah, Jesse and David Dobbs. The 1840 tax records of Cobb County, Georgia, show Asa with 11 slaves. Next door to him was Peter Dobbs (then in his 60s and believed to be an uncle). The 1848 tax records of Cobb County show Asa Dobbs with 22 slaves. The 1850 tax records of Cobb County show Asa living in the Big Shanty (now Kennesaw) area with wife Frances. Also living with them were John M. (22), William S. (14), Elizabeth M. (2) and Sarah J. (9). Value of his estate at the time was $15,000. By 1851, the tax records show him with 26 slaves and 236 acres of land. In that year, he was living in the Big Shanty (now Kennesaw) area of the county. Asa died in 1854 and is buried in Friendship Presbyterian Cemetery, Cartersville, Georgia. Tax records of Cass County, Georgia, (Cartersville), in 1860 show his widow Frances, then 51, working as a seamstress in Cartersville. Living with her were Susan (21), Mary E. (13) and Emma F (9). She was taxed on $1,000 in real estate and $350 in personal property. Also in Cass in 1860 are J. Dobbs (32), E. Dobbs (22) and F. Dobbs (14). By 1870, the name of Cass County had been changed to Bartow County. Frances Dobbs (then 64) was living with a woman named Calinda (age 27), possibly the widow of William S. Dobbs. John A. Dobbs (10) also was living there. By 1880, Frances Dobbs had moved in with her son, John M. Dobbs.2
Children of Asa Dobbs and Frances McMullen
- [S56] Jordan Dodd, Georgia Marriages to 1850 ([database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com) ,. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by individual counties in Georgia.
- [S18] Shelly Dobbs Dooley, Descendants Of Josiah Dobbs (Descendancy Report with Notes), 1999.
- [S50] 1830 United States Census, Elbert Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Administration) ,.
- [S53] 1840 United States Census (Free Schedule), Cobb Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Administration) ,.
- [S54] 1850 United States Census (Free Schedule), Cobb Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Adminstration) ,.