Relationship=2nd great-grandfather of James Monroe Dobbs Jr.
Last Edited=18 Jul 2006
He was named an heir in the will of John McMullan dated January 14, 1818 in Elbert County, Georgia.3 It appears that the McMullan's had a Rice plantation along the Savannah river in what is now Hart county Georgia. Along the south side of Hartwell Lake runs US-29 and south of the highway there is a McMullan Road which intersects with Rice Mill Road. Traveling south on Rice Mill Road aproximately a half-mile from McMullan Road, before Lewis Road, and along the banks of Cedar Creek, is a historical site named "McMullin's Mill". The following is from a DAR application found in The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Volume 36 submitted by Mrs. Claire Linn Upshaw (DAR ID Number: 155761): She records that she is the wife of George L. Upshaw and states that she is a descendant of John McMullen and Patrick McMullen, as follows: 1) John Garrison Linn (b. 1847) m. 1870 Hibernia Lucile Upshaw (1854-90). 2) John Albert Upshaw (1821-55) m. 1844 Elizabeth McMullen (1825-59). 3) Sinclair McMullen (d. 1850) m. Elizabeth Ballinger. 4) Patrick McMullen m. 2d - Dobbs. 5) John McMullen m. 1st 1759 Theodosia Beasley. DAR application 142316 gives "John McMullen (1740-1817) served, 1777, as private in Capt. William Johnston's company, 11th Virginia regiment of foot, under Daniel Morgan. He was born in Dublin, Ireland; died in Hartwell, Ga. DAR 108097 gives: "Patrick McMullen received land bounty for service as private, Georgia Line. He was born, 1761, in Virginia; died in Georgia."4
More information regarding John and Patrick McMullan can be found at the following external sites:
Children of Patrick McMullan and Sarah Walker
- [S60] Heritage Of Wilkes County, North Carolina, Vol. I n.pub.,.
- [S61] Brent H. Holcomb, Marriages Of Wilkes Co., North Carolina (n.p.: n.pub., unknown publish date), p. 106.
- [S112] John McMullin will (14 Jan 1818), Elbert County, Georgia, Miscellaneous Inferior Court Records 1816 - 1820 Will Book L, Elbert County Court Records, Elberton, Elbert County, Georgia. Hereinafter cited as Will Of John McMullan.
- [S18] Shelly Dobbs Dooley, Descendants Of Josiah Dobbs (Descendancy Report with Notes), 1999.
- [S47] 1820 United States Census, Elbert Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Administration) ,.
- [S50] 1830 United States Census, Elbert Co., Georgia (Washington: National Archives And Records Administration) ,.