Relationship=2nd great-granduncle of James Monroe Dobbs Jr.
Last Edited=4 Oct 2009
In Feburary 1817, James and Anna Prothro sold to Nathaniel Prothro 540 acres on the banks of the north fork of Cedar creek in Elbert County, Georgia. This land was adjacent to land owned by the Dobbs family. The deed was witnessed by Evan Prothro and his wife Elizabeth. (see Nathaniel Prothro).3 He was named an heir in the will of Evan Prothro dated December, 1822 in Elbert County, Georgia.4 "James was a planter, a miller, a potter, a timber man, a blacksmith, a ferry operator, and a business man, among other things (a true yeoman, or "jack-of-all-trades"), but he was never a doctor of any sort. That notion was created by Mrs. Pumphrey as a result of misinterpretation of a caption for a page found in the probate records for James Prothro (Sr.). The heading read "James Prothro, DR to Chambers County." She took the "DR" to refer to James' occupation. In fact, it was simply an archaic bookkeeping abbreviation meaning "debt record" or "debt recorded." It has nothing to do with the decedent's occupation or trade. The inventory of this man's estate shows numerous implements and tools for farming, husbandry, and black-smithing, but not one medical instrument or book. He appears on no list of early doctors of the region(s) in which he lived. Neither does he appear among the students of any institution that conferred medical degrees in his time."5
Children of James Prothro and Anne Myers
- George Prothro (est 1790 - )
- James Prothro (est 1800 - 1871)
- Elizabeth Prothro (c 1800 - a 1840)
- William Prothro6 (1801 - a 1860)
- Anna Prothro (1807 - 1879)
- Samuel Prothro (c 1808 - c 1832)
- Hepsibah Prothro6 (c 1810 - 1880)
- Eliza Prothro6 (1813 - a 1842)
- Emory Prothro+ (c 1818 - )
- Mary Prothro (c 1819 - a 1842)
- Martha Prothro (c 1820 - a 1842)
- [S353] "More Comments", e-mail message from George Prothro Coulter to Mike DeBacker, 3 Mar 2008. Hereinafter cited as "More Comments."
- [S18] Shelly Dobbs Dooley, Descendants Of Josiah Dobbs (Descendancy Report with Notes), 1999.
- [S414] Neil O. Myers, Myers and Neighbors of Jefferies Creek, SC (Aiken, South Carolina: Neil O. Myers, 2007), page 82 - cites: Elbert County Deed Book T pg 17.
- [S414] Neil O. Myers, Myers and Neighbors of Jefferies Creek, SC (Aiken, South Carolina: Neil O. Myers, 2007), page 40 - Cites: Elbert County Will Book L, pgs 456-457.
- [S347] "Prothro Information", e-mail message from George Coulter Prothro to Mike DeBacker, 18 February 2008. Hereinafter cited as "Prothro Information."
- [S414] Neil O. Myers, Myers and Neighbors of Jefferies Creek, SC (Aiken, South Carolina: Neil O. Myers, 2007), pg 85 - cite: George P. Coulter.