The earliest references to this city back under M. Gysseling from 1116 "Attingohova" from ± 1117 were the names "Atinchoven and Atingohova" and in the 13th century is the village as "Atickhove. Etikhove is a purely Germanic toponyms an assembly of Attinga hofa ', meaning' farm of the people of atto.
In 1820 were Etikhove, in the development of the quarry, behind St. Britiuskerk, a number of historical objects discovered. It is in flint axes, arrowheads and other ground silexstenen. The Romans have also Etikhove established. Then designate numerous discoveries. It would be three residential areas are located along the Heirweg Flobecq-Etikhove to branch from the large Heirweg Tongres-Bavai.
The archaeologist Joly discovered in 1843 at the Maarkebos eighteen cemeteries. They contain bones, small vases and jars of red earth and urns sealed in red earth. Also found coins with the effigy of Emperor Gordianus III, who reigned in the third century. Most of these finds can now view the Jolymuseum to Bergen.
The donation to the monastery of Inde (near Aachen) by Louis the Pious, the village was first named in the deeds (according to O. Delghust). Etikhove formed with other villages of the area between the Mark and the Ronne and was in possession of the Duke of Cleves. Together with Kerkem Etikhove was a glory. Etikhove itself was divided into 4 borrow: Drappendries, Overmalsak, Fiennes and Laddeuze. Such small delights have in turn also only men. For the history of Etikhove Ladeuze is most important. The family Ladeuze from Wallonia, came in the course of the 15th century Etikhove settle and let the castle Ladeuze erection. This castle was designed as a large farm, around which were some small houses. For some, the family Ladeuze the "snails Burgundy in Flanders have been introduced. According to the statements of good (1699) suggests that Gerard de Ladeuze not only is Mr Ladeuze, but also of the glory and the parish Etikhove, the glory Overmalsak and loan Ten Berghe (Edelare).
During the Reformation (16th century) was in a collection of Etikhove Geuzen. Until the end of the 19th century was a Geuze Temple. The village had long been an artists' colony, where Valerius The Saedeleer in the center stood. In 1972 discovered in an old house a great number of paintings by painters from the twenties. Etikhove was a typical southern Flemish agricultural village. Agriculture was mainly by textile industry: probably first wolnijverheid, then flax industry and from the 15th-16th century carpet weaving. In 1755, a major brewery founded. In 1978 worked 22 people in the local factory for mineral drink and 26 in the bronsgieterij. Approximately half of the population find employment outside the home.